Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Sweet Memories......

I always try to give my kids little bits of fun trivia. It’s enjoyable and keeps them thinking at the same time. Today I hung a note of the refrigerator letting everyone know that June is NATIONAL CANDY MONTH!!!!

Now ~~ what kid wouldn’t like to celebrate that month?? Then at lunch today I asked them what their favorite candy was and why. Now they are sharing this information with everyone they see and asking them what their favorite candy is.

So let me ask you ~ my faithful, few readers ~ what is your favorite candy and why? Send me a comment or post about it on your own blog and send me the link. And while you’re at it – share a special memory from your childhood about candy.

Here is a picture of my favorite candy ~~ warm, homemade caramel. I LOVE IT!!

I’ve never been a big fan of chocolate, but I have always loved caramel. I remember spending evening at my grandparent’s house. My grandma would put one of her aprons on me, pull up a kitchen stool to the oven, and her and I would make a huge batch of caramel. I would get to stir and stir until it was just the right consistency (tasting it several times throughout the process, of course!!)

Then, once it was just right, we would pour it onto a cookie sheet to cool. None of that was my favorite part though – my favorite part was spending the rest of the evening sneaking into the kitchen with my granddad to "steal" just a nibble! He made such a game out of it.

Now it is years later and I know that grandma knew what we were up to the whole time, but it was all just part of the evening. I loved those times and I really think the memories make the caramel sweeter even to this day!!!

No comments: