Hebrews 12:1-2 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, (2) Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Two of my children started school yesterday and Hebrews 12:1 was one of their memory verses they started working on. As I was reading that verse, Elisabeth and I started talking about it. I thought I’d share some of what we discussed.
1. This race we’re running is not a short sprint – we won’t be done with this race until the day we enter Heaven.
2. Once you’re saved God sets your race course out for you – your goal is to run that race for life … and even more importantly, run it to win
3. How do you know you’re on the course?? You’re actions bring honor and glory to the Lord
4. To accomplish this you must commit yourself to a life of discipline and a life of seeking God’s will and following it (even when the way seems hard)
5. You must stay focused to the tasks at hand…if you start looking too far ahead or turning around to see what you’ve already past, you will trip or get off course
6. Avoid distractions – Psalm 119:105 says, Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path – don’t worry about anything outside of that area of light
7. You must get rid of any sin in your life that will slow you down or serve as a hindrance
8. Remember to run this race with the hope and anticipation of what is ahead at the finish line ~~ HEAVEN and an eternity with our Saviour!!
9. And lastly ~~ never stop running until you cross that finish line and fall into the arms of God!!
How is your race today, Ladies?