Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Where Is Your Trust??


Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

There are so many things in life that happen that we just can't explain. Usually these are the things that are completely beyond our control. But today as I was going through Proverbs I really took some time to think about this. God tells us right here in His Word that we are not to lean unto our own understanding, but instead we are to put our trust in Him.

I have two children waiting for me in Heaven. Manasseh died shortly after he was born and Steven died when he was 12. In my own understanding I can't explain why that had to happen. If I had trusted in my own understanding through those times I think I probably would have lost my mind....literally!! But instead my family and I put all our trust in the Lord ~~ He is what got us through those times and showed us that "... all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

Maybe you have lost someone you love. Maybe you're dealing with the loss of your own health or that of a family members. Or maybe you've lost a job or had a dream that hasn't come true. The list can go on and on.

How many times have you found yourself trying to lean on your own understanding ~ trying to figure things out on your own? When things don't go the way we think they should, we try to pull them apart, to dissect them, to bring about some kind of understanding. I can't tell you how many times I have heard someone say, "If I could only understand why this happened, maybe I could learn to accept it and to heal the hurt." It doesn't work that way...I know that from personal experience. Trusting God and leaning on Him is what will help heal the hurt.

It wasn't until I was willing to truly give my WHOLE heart to God, to lean on Him, and to let Him direct my paths, that I finally began to understand and heal. I had to get my focus on God ~ not on myself or my loss, but on God. I had to see that He is the only One that truly understood my hurt, thus, He was the only One to heal my broken heart.

Things may happen in your life that you don't understand or that hurt so much you wonder how you can possibly go on. Trust in the Lord during those times (in all times actually, but even more then), lean on Him (He will carry you through), and let Him direct you on the path of healing.

No comments: