Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Going On A Treasure Hunt.....

Proverbs 2:1-5: "My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee; 2 So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding; 3 Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding; 4 If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures; 5 Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God."

I marvel at the fact that every time I read my Bible I find something new. I read a proverb a day, every day…and God always shows me something different each time I go through them.

You see, if we desire to understand what the "fear of the Lord" means and find out about the things that God knows, then we must do certain things to make this happen.

First of all, and most importantly, is to receive God's Words and act on them. We must make daily Bible study an important part of our lives. As we study God's Word, and ask God to give us the understanding of it, we will find that the words on the pages of the Bible will become alive to us.

Many times, I have been reading along and suddenly it is like the words simply leap off the page and into my heart. At other times, I have read the same scripture over and over, and I really didn't understand it, so I would just read past it, wondering in my heart what it meant. I pray and ask the Lord to show me what it meant. That’s what lifting up our voice for understanding means.

Many times the Holy Spirit will bring to my mind another Scripture that will shed light on the one I am meditating about. But just knowing the Word of God is not enough; I must obey the commandments that are written in it.

Look at what these few verses are saying…God says if we seek for His knowledge like searching for silver or hidden treasures, we will find it. We have to search, dig out, and study it – and all that takes time and a willing heart!!

We can’t approach the Bible like it is a common novel. It is a Holy Book!! If we want to gain His knowledge we must first learn the fear of the Lord and have a heart that is tender to all that He has for us. If we search through the pages of His Word we will find gems of truth and treasures of gold!!!

No comments: