Tuesday, December 19, 2006

IN THE PIT

Psalms 10:1 Why standest thou afar off, O LORD? why hidest thou thyself in times of trouble?

Have you ever gone through times when you’re “in the pits,” so to speak, and you’ve cried out to God and asked Him to rescue you from that pit you’re in – and He didn’t. I know I have. And I asked God, “Why?”

Over the years I have learned that the reason He left me there was because His grace was just as sufficient for me while I was in the pit, as it was when I was out. It was during those times that I have had to learn that even though I felt alone, that God was truly there with me and that I needed to have peace in the pit, peace with the darkness, and peace when I felt surrounded by the enemy.

I have learned that for years I was asking the wrong question. I was asking, “God, what are you going to do for me during this time of trial?” But what I should have been asking was, “God, what do you want ME to do during this time of trial?”

Look at Daniel. Daniel was thrown in the pit with the lions. God did not rescue him in the sense of removing him from the pit. God left him there, surrounded by furious lions. God did not expect Daniel to conquer the lions, he just asked that Daniel have faith in Him and wait patiently (and in peace.)

Daniel 6:22-23 My God hath sent his angel, and hath shut the lions' mouths, that they have not hurt me: forasmuch as before him innocency was found in me; and also before thee, O king, have I done no hurt. (23) Then was the king exceeding glad for him, and commanded that they should take Daniel up out of the den. So Daniel was taken up out of the den, and no manner of hurt was found upon him, because he believed in his God.

The lions were still there when Daniel left, waiting for the next victim; but they had no power over Daniel - and they have no power over you either! Daniel went on to prosper, and we will, too – so we need rejoice!

Sometimes I think we exhaust ourselves fighting against and trying to change the conditions around us – when all we really need to do is trust in the Lord, lean on Him, and have faith that He is in control of all that is going on in and around our lives.

Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

1 comment:

Sis. Julie said...

You are so right about this post Sis. God will leave us in our trial to teach us some valuable lessons. We should not be asking "Why" but asking "What...what is it you want me to do and learn in this trial?" God is sovereign and makes NO mistakes!!