Tuesday, December 12, 2006

THE HUSTLE & BUSTLE

MARTHA OR MARY?????

It seems like some people go crazy during the holidays. It seems they get all carried away with the shopping, decorating, entertaining, etc. I enjoy all those things myself, but it is so important we keep everything in its right perspective.

Can you picture a “Martha” type and a “Mary” type during the holidays?

Martha is the one who is more worried about whether everything is decorated or wrapped “just right.” She spends days baking and stresses out over all the holiday plans and activities.

She gets so wrapped up in the outward part of the holiday she forgets to focus on what is really being celebrated. She has no time for giving thanks and enjoying time with the Lord because there is “too much to do.”

Ladies, lets not get so carried away with all the “fluff” of the holidays and forget why we have the holiday to begin with.

Remember the saying.....HE IS THE REASON FOR THE SEASON.

Luke 10:40-42 But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. (41) And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: (42) But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.

1 comment:

alisonwonderland said...

I've always identified with Martha, but I am definitely not a "fluff" person. Rather, I find it easy to get caught up in the tasks of daily living - which can lead me to become overwhelmed, even depressed. I once heard Jesus' admonition to Martha - "thou art careful and troubled about many things" - as His admonition to me in answer to prayer, telling me that He will carry the burden of all those things that make me "careful and troubled" if I will remember that He is the "one thing [that] is needful". No better time than Christmas to celebrate His ability to do that and so much more for us if we'll let Him into our lives! Merry Christmas!