Monday, February 25, 2008

Mid-Terms already

I can't believe how fast these last 8 weeks have gone. It seems like this semester just started, but now its midway through. I have one class that is only 8 weeks long, so it is done on Wednesday. I finished the major part of the final project yesterday and , Lord willing, I will finish up the rest of it today and turn it all in 2 days early!!!! That would be wonderful. Now that I've given a quick update on me.....let's talk about being late.
For me, being late is NOT being 15 minutes early. I prefer to be early for everything. That's just how I am. But there are many people who are habitually late. I mean they are late for everything. I know one lady who insists she going to even be late for her funeral!! (And I believe her.)


Are you a person who just can't seem to get someplace on time? You may be one who always arrives late no matter where you go. Here is one way to solve your problem:

1) Pick one place where you regularly go, such as church or work. (By the way - many people who don't have a problem in the world being late for church who never even consider being late for work. HHHHMMMMMM - makes you wonder, doesn't it??)

2) Clock the amount of times it takes you from the time you put on your coat until you arrive inside the building. (Let's say it takes 20 minutes)

3) Add five minutes to that time, then round it up to the closest quarter hour. (Now we're up to 25 minutes, rounded up to 30 minutes) This makes calculating your times easier.

4) Subtract that time from the starting time of church or whatever it was that you timed. (If church starts at 10 a.m., subtract the 30 minutes we just calculated - that makes the time 9:30 a.m. ) This gives you the precise time you must leave -- not one minute later.

5) You must make yourself leave at the designated time, but be prepared -- your on-time arrival may give someone a heart attack.

Too many people fail to figure in the time it takes to put on your coat, open the garage and back out of the driveway, then the time it takes to park your car and walk to the destination building. You must take all this into consideration.

It all boils down to developing a system of planning, then forcing yourself to stick to the plan.

Make a chart listing your travel times to each place where you normally go, if you need to. You can do it if you really want to. It's called self-discipline. And if you're a parent, remember, you are teaching your children to be the same way you are. If you are always late you are teaching them it is okay to always be late.

Arriving on time is Scriptural.

1 Corinthians 14:40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

Here Paul is giving instructions regarding church services. "decently and in order" includes arriving on time so that you don't cause a disturbance by your late arrival. Arriving late for anything is discourteous to the others who are involved. Show the Lord you care enough to be on time. It will make a difference in your service!!

2 comments:

Tori Leslie said...

Oh this is a good post. I can't stand it when people are habitually late. I know lots of people, close friends who are like that. They couldn't be on time if you paid them, actually when they do get paid they still don't come on time. I think it's a real show of lack of character many times and just lack of organization the other times.

Great practical tips, I don't need them but they will be a big help for those who do.

abrightnewdawn said...

Amen, and amen, Tami. I try to be punctual, usually 15 mins early, but I get in these little ruts sometimes, usually everytime I add a kid to the mix!! As Tori said, very practical tips!! I don't need them right now, but at least I'm not alone in feeling the way I do!!