Tuesday, March 21, 2006

SETTING AN EXAMPLE

1 Timothy 4:12 Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.

Christianity Today did a survey of over 5000 youths from age 13-16 and asked them who was their greatest example of religion. When I read their answer I was very puzzled because I had never heard of this “person.” The person that over 50% of them chose was Ned Flanders.

That name meant nothing to me – I actually had to ask Jeff who that was, (since he was the one reading the article to me last night.) He went on to read that this is a character off the television show “The Simpsons.”

How sad is that???? It wasn’t their parents, or their preacher, not the pope, or some televangelist – but some cartoon character off of a show that we won’t even allow to be watched in our home.

It sure made me think, that’s for sure. So last night during family devotions Jeff asked each of our kids this same question – I was relieved to hear that we were their greatest example, because according to God’s Word that is our responsibility.

Here is my question for each of us today – are we being the example we should be to those around us…even if you don’t have children of your own, you are still being watched ~~ are you an example of the believers, as Paul wrote about in 1 Timothy?

No comments: