Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Dancing in the Rain

For the last two nights we have had some SERIOUS rain here in Bismarck. The title I gave this devotion made me think of Gene Kelly in the old movie Singing in the Rain. If you haven’t seen it I would strongly suggest it.



There is a scene where he danced with great joy, by himself, in a downpour of rain. I don’t remember why he was happy but he didn’t wait under an awning for the rain to stop. He didn’t care about getting soaking wet or looking really peculiar…he just danced for joy! How many times have I literally stood still by my kitchen door--or in a store--waiting for the rain to get less intense so I can get to my car without getting wet? TOO MANY!!

Now, how many times have you stood still at your heart’s door waiting for the storm in your personal life to pass before you stepped out, wet with tears, to praise God, smile, encourage others…and fulfill your place of service? Truly, “Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass…it’s about learning to dance in the rain.”


What does God say about this matter?

Psalm 30:5 “….in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.”

I have the promise…the promise of God that my weeping will end. I am told “in his favour is life:” and I know to be in God’s favor I must walk in obedience, abiding in Christ.


My joy is found in my abiding in Christ—trusting Him and believing His Word. So, in effect, I choose when to dance; praise, thank, glorify the Lord: I choose when to dance by choosing to do right, think right, be right with God in the midst of every storm of life. God will, when I have set my heart and relationship right with Him, do the turning of my sadness into joy so that I can praise Him,

Psalm 30:11-12 “Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing: thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness; To the end that my glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks unto thee for ever.”


Psalm 149:3 Let them praise his name in the dance: let them sing praises unto him with the timbrel and harp.


Psalm 150:4 Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.


Ecceliastes 3: 1 and 4 “To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:….A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;”

There is a time to weep and grieve over loss and heartache as long as we do not grieve as the world does…without hope. I know from much personal experience that we can grieve and have sorrow and still praise, thank and do all God has asked us to do BECAUSE of Who He is, not because of what is happening in our lives.

I Thessalonians 4:13 “But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.”


This morning I am reminded of David and his great sorrow of heart. I am reminded of how he called out to God and remained serving, thanking and praising God, through it all. David said, “my flesh also shall rest in hope.” He did not sorrow as those who have no hope.


Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass…it’s about learning to dance in the rain.



Are we dancing during the rain of our lives? Remember, we can only see a rainbow through the rain…and the rainbow will come!!


1 comment:

cherylharrell (Mrs Harrell) said...

Wow, yur post really spoke to me. My darling hubby Mike passed on afrom a sudden heart attack in March 2009 and went home to heaven. I have hurt so much over this. You reminded me that even tho I hurt I still have hope. And he is home and safe in the loving arms of God. Peace and God Bless...