Monday, July 14, 2008

I knew this day would come

I have a box of “special Steven stuff.” To be honest, I haven’t opened the box since a few months after the funeral – that has been almost 9 years now. I just haven’t been able to bring myself to do it. I took comfort in knowing it was there, in case I ever wanted to go through it.

Over the last few weeks Brett has been asking hundreds of questions about Steven. Today he asked if I had anything other than all the pictures he has seen. I told him I had a special box and his face lit up. He wanted to see the box.

As I write this Brett is sitting at the table going through everything in the box. I went through part of it with him, but honestly – it hurts more than I expected. I want Brett to go through the box, to know the brother he never got to meet, but this is a lot harder than I ever would have thought it would be.

There are things in that box I had forgotten about – reports he had written, letters to me, pictures he drew. Just tons of memories.

I would love to call someone, but I don’t want Brett to know how much it hurts me....so I write. He needs to see those things, he needs to bring me things and have me read them out loud. He needs to know who wrote the letters and the poems. So I write.

5 comments:

Terri said...

I wish you could have called. And I wish I was closer so I could give you a big hug.

Susan said...

(((Tami))) That's the only way I can give you a hug. I believe you did the right thing in letting Brett go through the box. I just prayed for you!

Leah said...

((((((Tami))))) May you have sweet memories.

Terri said...

Tami, I left something for you on my blog:

http://graceandsalt.blogspot.com/2008/07/im-humbled.html

Anonymous said...

((((Tami)))) I can only imagine how difficult that was for you! I know that it had to be very good for Brett to have that connection though.

Kimberly